Old 26-07-2008, 11:09 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default Removing kikuyu grass lawn

In article ,
"YMC" wrote:

Need some advice on how to remove kikuyu from the lawn. My backyard has a
large lawn section where the kikuyu grass has taken over.

snippage
I thought of spraying the area of roundup - then laying down newspaper -
followed by mulch - and later adding the plants.

That's about all you can do, but don't be surprised if it reappears. I
suggest you buy neat glyphosate and dilute it yourself before applying: the
usual dilution for annual weeds isn't quite strong enough for dealing with
kikuyu.

If you decide you do want a garden bed in the area, I suggest following the
no-dig garden principles for starting a garden bed. It is a bit more work and
expense than mulch and newspaper, but you will get much better results. Land
that has been lawn for a long time is usually poor in nutrients and organic
matter.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/