Old 05-08-2008, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Campa-Man[_2_] Campa-Man[_2_] is offline

Default Freezing Runner Beans

"Gordon H" wrote in message
Now that I am picking more beans than I can eat, I have to resort to
freezing some for later use.

I have Googled and found as many contradictions about precise methods as
there are pairs of contributors. ;-)

From a consensus, I propose to wash and slice diagonally into 1/2 " wide
pieces, drop into boiling water for 2 minutes, drop in iced water for
several minutes, then dry and freeze.

The last time I did this many years ago I bagged them after drying and put
them in the freezer. When we used them, they were stuck together to
some extent and iced up in the plastic bags. We learned to make up
smaller portions... ;-)

Today's reading suggests that I should leave them to dry more thoroughly,
and place them in the quick-freeze compartment on a baking tray, rather
than toss them in a bag.

Any comments on the methodology?

It is a given that they will not taste as they do when fresh, but in a
stir-fry with corn fed chicken, some Chinese veg and my favourite
sauces...
--
Gordon H

I do not blanch, just chop um up and freeze um, we then steam um from
frozen, never had a problem that way, although I don't know what the shelf
life would be in the freezer