Old 05-08-2008, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ros Butt Ros Butt is offline

Default Freezing Runner Beans

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Now that I am picking more beans than I can eat, I have to resort to
freezing some for later use.

I have Googled and found as many contradictions about precise methods as
there are pairs of contributors. ;-)

I tried the non-freezing method out of curiosity a few years ago, and it
was not very successful as they needed far more time to cook, so I reverted
to my tried and trusted method which I have used very successfully for many
years:-

Pick them before they get too big (certainly not stringy) top, tail and
slice them and blanch for 1 - 2 minutes, cool under cold water immediately,
drain and place on a plastic tray, put straight in the freezer. After
about an hour give them a toss around and then leave them until they are
nearly frozen ( or completely - if you have forgotten about them, as
happens often!) you should be able to scrunch them off the tray and into a
bag for storage.

Ros