Old 16-08-2008, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Damons? Plums?

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Wow! Talk about getting the bit between your teeth........ ;-)) Thank you
| so muchfor going to all this trouble and producing such interesting info. I
| especially like the bit above about no such plum stones being found at
| Pompeii - for some reason human details like that make a topic much more
| interesting to me!

What baffles me is why Prunus domestica wasn't more important in Neolithic
times (at least not in the UK). The vast majority of the 'plum' stones
found in Neolithic middens are sloes. One hypothesis is that they were
not eaten, but used for dying clothes.

On a not totally unrelated matter, my peche de vigne is growing happily.
I shall discover if it fruits. It would amuse me to introduce a Neolithic
fruit crop into the UK, in the 21st century :-) I am sure that it has
been done before, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.