Old 16-08-2008, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Damons? Plums?

On 16th August Nick Maclaren wrote:

David Rance writes:

| So the damson is known here but the French appear to refer to it simply
| as a variety of plum. Having looked it up in Collins-Robert it is
| slightly more helpful, calling it a "prune de damas" (a Damascus plum -
| damson would appear to be a corruption of this).

Well, it IS just a variety of plum! And, yes, that's its origin.

Quite! So is the greengage which the French call Reine Claude!

The French terms that I find a a bit odd are where the same word
is used for two items that are used very differently - groseille
being an example.

They do distinguish between groseille rouge, groseille blanche and
groseille à maquereau (gooseberry). Not the blackcurrant however which
is cassis

| Yes, I suppose my damson trees are somewhat smaller than the plum trees
| with finer branches. Every year my plum trees fruit prolifically. This
| year, not one! We had early frosts here in the Suisse Normande.

Sorry, that should have been late frosts!

And I had the most appalling aphids - no fruit :-(

I sympathise.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France