Old 16-08-2008, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Damons? Plums?

On 16th August Nick Maclaren wrote:

David Rance writes:

| They do distinguish between groseille rouge, groseille blanche and
| groseille à maquereau (gooseberry). Not the blackcurrant however which
| is cassis

Are those terms in common use, though? Whenever I have seen a use
of groseille, it has been unqualified - both when ambiguous and
when clear from the context.

Well actually, no. They would use it only when the context wasn't clear.

However the Normans around here call redcurrrants "grades". When my
neighbours talk about groseilles they mean gooseberries. But when they
mean redcurrants they will always say grades. It's not in the standard
dictionary but is in my book of patois "Le Parler Normand". So to them
there isn't a problem!

There are other local variations, "gradelles" and "gradilles", but here
it's "grades".

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France