Old 17-08-2008, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Damons? Plums?

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, Sacha wrote:

On 17/8/08 10:01, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:

| Well, it IS just a variety of plum! And, yes, that's its origin.
| The French terms that I find a a bit odd are where the same word
| is used for two items that are used very differently - groseille
| being an example.
|
| And English (to include USanian) is little better, if at all: think
'muffin'?

Indeed, but it is relatively rare for a single dialect not to distinguish
two things that are (a) both commonly used and (b) where there is a
significant possibility of confusion. Muffin is unambiguous, once you
know which side of the pond you are.

But I have read French recipes which use unadorned groseille, where
any groseille could be used, but where the results would taste very
different. I am pretty sure that they meant gooseberry, there.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bit like 'mūres' which, I think, can mean both blackberries or mulberries.
I imagine it's more often used to mean blackberries.

Only because blackberries are more plentiful than mulberries. ;-)

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France