Old 19-08-2008, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
eeyore eeyore is offline

Default Phal roots

Makes sense, thanks for the reply.

"Ray B" wrote in message
What constitutes "better"?

In nature, you'll mostly see pals growing "flopped" over to the side. I
speculate that gravity takes advantage of the relatively small base
compared to the large plant mass above it, and "over she goes". It also
helps prevent water from standing in the crown, which helps eliminate a
great place for bacteria and fungi to grow, virtually eliminating crown
rot.

Peter Lin, a grower of excellent phal specimens (bigleaforchids.com),
intentionally tips his pots to achieve that.

"eeyore" wrote in message
The photo illustrates a question I've had. A lot of my phal's, while
seemingly happy, tend to tip and grow sideways. Being a fussbudget I
always have a tendency to want to turn them vertical. Which is better?

"Jane" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 9:36 am, Jane wrote:
I have a Phal that has many roots growing from the top. This phal had
a problems about a year ago with yellowing leaves. I removed the bad
leaves and repotted the plant. Since then it has grown several
healthy leaves but no flowers.

The roots on top are very thick and healthy looking. They branch like
a tree. I have several other phals. They also have air roots but
nothing like this.

Does this indicate any particular issue with the plant of is it
normal? When I water this plant should I spray the roots?

thanks

Here's what it looks like:

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/orchid.jpg