Old 23-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Default Problem Area - Bog Garden?

"Bot Grl" wrote:

At the back, along the length of the fence, there is basically a "valley"
there that gets very wet and collects lots of water. It gets full sun.

1. Can I just fill this area in with soil? Do I need to put in a barrier
between the soil and the back fence (half is chainlink and the other half is
wood)? Should I put in a border of some type to contain the soil, like
wooden ties?

2. I couldn't find any evergreens suited to those conditions. Any
suggestions for winter interest plants that can tolerate soggy soil?

Drive around and see what is growing naturally in the boggy
swampy areas of Ontario - something must grow well there. . Take
photos and then go to a nursery that specializes in native plants
for identification and to buy them.

Dig a coupleof pits in that area a few feet deep. Construction
crews often bury their trash along the rear lot lines, which
screws up drainage and pH.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both