Old 22-08-2008, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Fay

It's all relative, Chris. Of course we're all in *low lying areas*. But
construction, good or poor drainage, and places for the water to go (or lack
thereof) all play into the equation.

Our house backs up to a 100' wide canal. The water level in the canal is
usually VERY low. It is part of a system of drainage canals and culverts
that culminate in a retention pond of about four acres (guestimating here).
The houses on this side of the street are built up faily high.

Believe me, I'm not trying to sound cocky. It's FL, and anything could
happen. We're finding out more about localized flooding in places where we
wouldn't have expected it. But by and large we feel very safe here.

Knock on glass, since we don't have a scrap of wood.

Diana

wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:13:29 -0400 in
Diana Kulaga
wrote:
What you said. Exactly. It's a big, lumbering storm. The wind has not
been
an issue, but the extensive rain over a long period of time has caused
many
problems in low lying areas. Fortunately, we are not in one of those
areas.

There are parts of Florida that aren't low lying areas?
(Aside from overpasses and those bits of Orlando that a certain nut
job trucked a 10' layer of fill on top of...)
--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."