Old 23-08-2008, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Jeffrey L. Kline Jeffrey L. Kline is offline

Default Where to start?

Looking at the description of your climate, (temperate, rain coat and a
sweater in the winter) it sounds like just about any type of rose will do
well for you. As far as which rose, go to www.helpmefind.com and use to
search engine to have a look at what is out there. The advanced search
option can isolate types based on your desires/requirements.

Roses like well drained soil, a good amount of water, at least 5 hours of
sun/day, and regular feedings. I've grown then in soil types from clay to
sand. www.ars.org can give you more advice on preparing the soil.

Think about how much area you have to plant, how much sun the area gets and
how much you want to fiddle with the roses (spraying and the like). That
goes a long way in guiding you in your rose selection.

Cheers

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

"Vangellis" wrote in message
Hi everyone
I am new to growing rose's, and am a bit bewildered as where to start. I
mean what would be a good type of rose to start of with etc.
I live in south wales in the UK, my garden soil, is quite good, I have
grown tomato's, asters, marigolds, lupins, gladioli, heathers, tulips to
name but a few. Bearing in mind my soil can grow the previously mentioned
plants, what type/name of rose should I start of with. I quite like the
Tea Roses, but am unsure if they will grow in my soil
any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
R.J Vangellis