Old 09-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Gail Futoran

Default How did everybody get started with their rose hobby?

"Emil" wrote in message
Hi group,

Out of curiosity...How did everybody start with their

hobby, more like a
passion :-) of roses? Did you learn by watching parents

plant roses? Is
growing roses your occupation, any of you own a nursery?

Etc. Etc.

As for me, when we bought our first house a couple of

years ago, we bought 4
roses. Everytime we went to the nursery, we came home with

more and more
roses. Final count at our old house was close to 35 rose

bushes that I
planted from bareroots.

So what's everybody story?

Emil

That's a fun question, Emil. I suppose I've always
liked roses but had avoided them because I heard
they were hard to grow. Then we moved into
our present home about 8 years ago and it came
with a small rose bed. I cared for it, learned about
roses, killed a few, but still wasn't "hooked" on
roses until I got the idea to create a theme rose
bed, based on a TV show I was obsessed with.

The "Xena Warrior Princess" rose bed started
with 16 roses in a circular pattern. Roses were
chosen to represent different characters. E.g.,
Caesar's rose is Royal Amethyst, Hercules's rose
is Peace, Ares's rose is Intrigue. (Others are not
historical characters or well-known mythical
characters so I won't bore non-Xena fans with
their names.)

Once that process was completed, I was able
to plan beds based on color, and eventually
branched out into old garden roses. I now
have between 135 and 140 roses and love
them all, even the "non-Xena" roses.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8