Old 09-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Kirra

Default How did everybody get started with their rose hobby?

"Emil" wrote in message
Hi group,

Out of curiosity...How did everybody start with their hobby, more like a
passion :-) of roses? Did you learn by watching parents plant roses? Is
growing roses your occupation, any of you own a nursery? Etc. Etc.

As for me, when we bought our first house a couple of years ago, we bought

4
roses. Everytime we went to the nursery, we came home with more and more
roses. Final count at our old house was close to 35 rose bushes that I
planted from bareroots.

So what's everybody story?

I guess my story is similar to yours. While my mother had a couple of roses
when I was young that I used to love picking, it wasn't until we signed the
contract on our first home (just over a year ago) that I became interested
in gardening for myself. The house had very little in the way of gardens and
what was there was overgrown. In the month and a half wait before we could
move into the house, we had already accumulated at least six roses in pots
and some other plants for our new garden. Like yourself, it seemed that each
time I went to the nursery I came back with a new rose.

Our land area is quite small so I only have 13 HT/Floribundas/Climbers and
the rest of the crew (14) are miniature/patio roses in pots in the courtyard
out the back. I have also found that the more I read of what everyone else
has/likes in this newsgroup, the more roses I am sure that I need to find
space for

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Z10