Old 30-08-2008, 06:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Ray B[_2_] Ray B[_2_] is offline

Default Blc Hunting Island 'Hawaii'

The depth of field will always be narrower with a macro, but you can play
with the aperture and affect that.

Hi-Def, huh? I guess I'll actually have to break down and read the manual!

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Ray, nice to know you're happy with the Rebel. An aqcuaintance says the
Canon line kicks butt over everything else. Except her Hasselblad, LOL!

I'm compulsive, so I've been reading photo sites about the differences
between point and shoots and DSLR sensors. I must admit the argument for
a DSLR sensor makes a huge amount of sense. And that image stabilization
can take place either in the lens or in the camera body. (I think I prefer
the camera body, but what do I know?)

But then I looked at one of Greg Allikas's pictures where he talks about
the depth of field in macro
http://www.flickr.com/photos/graphicgreg/2731961458/ and I got scared.

Now, there's no way I'm going to haul around a bunch of lenses. I shoot
in macro. I never leave Auto mode, not even when I had a Nikon (film)
camera (but with cheapo lenses). Eric has shamed me into realizing I have
to get a tripod. I haven't yet so I've stopped taking pictures - well
until recently - which raised all these issues again...

I need a better camera. I need a tripod, I need a bigger black velvet
backdrop, I need lights, argh. Just so I can take pics for here, LOL!!

Too bad I already spent my economic stimulus check

"Ray B" wrote in message
I recently upgraded to an XSi and think it's fantastic!

My "base" lens in a 28-135 mm (acts as 45-200, due to sensor size), and I
do most of my shooting with that, plus I have a 100 (160) mm macro, and a
70-300 (110-480!!!) telephoto zoom.

In addition to offering me more flexibility than a P&S (but still able to
be an excellent one when I'm too lazy), the color rendition with the new
processor is far superior to my old D30, the autofocus is unbelievable,
and it's fast!.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I've been looking for a better camera. Probably a point and shoot. Had
considered a Sony alpha 350 (dSLR) or a Rebel XSI but my understanding
of the medium just won't justify its cost. I'm basically a point and
shooter...

K Barrett

"tbell" wrote in message
.com...
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:31:11 -0700, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

Blc Hunting Island 'Hawaii'

K Barrett

Yum - Love the red and pink together.