Old 31-08-2008, 04:35 AM posted to sci.agriculture.poultry,alt.permaculture,rec.gardens,aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Egg-laying Chickens – supplementing their grain diet?

terryc writes:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:56:38 -0400, John McGaw wrote:

Not that I'd expect you to invest in cows for your egg production but it
would pay to keep in mind that chickens really love their protein in the
form of insects and it does wonders for their taste and egg production.

Lol, I could just imagine the neighbours rection to having a cow in out
backyard.

How about cockroaches? Easy to rear, breed well, and can be raised
in plastic rubbish bins filled with corrugated cardboard. They feed
on the paper and glue. Just make sure the bins are escape-proof.

That way, you can feed your kitchen scraps directly to the chooks,
and supplement their diet with crunchy cockroaches from time to
time.

Now, which species would be the best to breed .....?