Old 31-08-2008, 06:12 AM posted to sci.agriculture.poultry,alt.permaculture,rec.gardens,aus.gardens
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default Egg-laying Chickens * supplementing their grain diet?

I haven't been paying attention to your conversation but I thought
that this may be of interest:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...eveal-Healthie
r-Eggs.aspx

Most of the eggs currently sold in supermarkets are nutritionally
inferior to eggs produced by hens raised on pasture. That¹s the
conclusion we have reached following completion of the 2007 Mother Earth
News egg testing project. Our testing has found that, compared to
official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient data for
commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture may contain:

€ 1/3 less cholesterol
€ 1/4 less saturated fat
€ 2/3 more vitamin A
€ 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
€ 3 times more vitamin E
€ 7 times more beta carotene

These amazing results come from 14 flocks around the country that range
freely on pasture or are housed in moveable pens that are rotated
frequently to maximize access to fresh pasture and protect the birds
from predators. We had six eggs from each of the 14 pastured flocks
tested by an accredited laboratory in Portland, Ore. The chart at the
end of this article shows the average nutrient content of the samples,
compared with the official egg nutrient data from the USDA for
³conventional² (i.e. from confined hens) eggs. The chart lists the
individual results from each flock.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars