Old 09-04-2003, 04:08 PM
dave weil

Default How did everybody get started with their rose hobby?

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:23:36 -0700, "Emil" wrote:

Hi group,

Out of curiosity...How did everybody start with their hobby, more like a
passion :-) of roses? Did you learn by watching parents plant roses? Is
growing roses your occupation, any of you own a nursery? Etc. Etc.

As for me, when we bought our first house a couple of years ago, we bought 4
roses. Everytime we went to the nursery, we came home with more and more
roses. Final count at our old house was close to 35 rose bushes that I
planted from bareroots.

So what's everybody story?

Emil

My story begins 2 1/2 years ago when I bought my current house. There
was a big impressive rose bush in the front yard, and several other
roses next to the house. When the big bush (my Aloha) bloomed for the
first time, I was hooked. The other roses looked pretty good as
well...

So, I decided to continue the theme as well as try to learn about the
ones that I already had. I'm only up to about 25 roses, which I think
is just about appropriate for my lot, and I think that 25 -30 is a
good comfort zone for me.

I used to be into orchids but I just couldn't provide the proper
environment for them...

dave