Old 11-09-2008, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Suffolk Punch 43 mower.

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:15:04 -0700 (PDT), Peter C wrote:

I found the nut wanted tightening and when I did so it prevented the
clutch drum from revolving. It seems that 'deadley' is spot on and I
needto have it welded, a job beyond me. I will have to consider
selling the mower for spares or having it done by an expert.

Contact Qualcast, they may well have the shaft as a spare, they are
reputable and long term maker of mowers not some knock out 500,000 cheapy
things in Italy flog 'em for what mug punters will pay.

I think the 43 is still a current model and I wouldn't be surprised if the
shaft hasn't changed design in donkys years.

Suffolk, Qualcast, and various other marques are now owned by Bosch, and
spares are difficult to come by, other than cables, belts etc. Your local
Freecycle on the other hand, will have several on offer, at least if it's
anything like mine. It will probably be simpler to change the complete
engine.

The basic design is similar going back a long way, but it's surprising how
many small changes you come across, meaning that the exhaust won't fit, or
the engine base plate is a different thickness, stuff like that. Later
models have toothed belts instead of chains.

Here is some stuff I gleaned from the net, which may or may not help. It
helped me with the cultimatic, which uses the same engine. (Basically),
which is how I know about the thickness etc. I also have some jpegs of parts
pages, exploded drawings etc.

"
The Suffolk 98g14 Model 3 engine was the last in the line of this 98cc cast
iron block engine. It had the later type engine block casting with a
breather valve/cover plate attached by 2 screws instead of the single stud
and nut of the model 2. I think the very last of the model 3 engines will
have the fixed size main jet version of the Zenith carb?? which has the
ignition cut out operated by the throttle crank arm whilst earlier versions
may have the similar carb with adjustable main jet and a more conventional
ignition cut out via an earthing bar to spark plug.

The 98g14 model 3 would have finished about 1978/79 when it and its smaller
stablemate the 75g14 were replaced by the A98 aluminium engine.
The engines were mainly fitted to products of the Qualcast, Suffolk, Atco
group of companies plus a few other applications.

The 98g14 was used on some Atco mowers and also the Suffolk Punch 17" mower.

It was standard fit on a Qualcast rotavator. The Qualcast "Cultimatic
Super". This rotavator was painted a yellow mustardy gold sort of colour
with white handlebars etc...engine and cowling painted black.

The Cultimatic Super model had twin v belt pulleys but in fact had only one
belt..it basically used the twin pulleys of the Special and De Luxe models
which had a second belt for reverse drive and had B&S engines.
The Cultimatic was basically a rotavator fitted with 2 sets of slasher tines
but I think it may have been able to take a set of wheels and possibly a
furrower.??...so I wonder if this is your machine.???

The 98g14 engine shares a recoil starter design with the smaller 75g14
engine and the more recent A98. Engines used on the Super Colt, Super Punch,
Punch DL, Atco range etc. From 1970 on this was a plastic recoil unit. There
should be a pressed steel cup mounted on the flywheel, held by 2 screws,
that the starter pawls locate into to turn the engine. The starter unit is
still available new I believe as a pattern replica part. But should be about
s/h too."

HTH
Steve