Old 09-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Jane Lumley

Default How did everybody get started with their rose hobby?

My grandfather grew roses and they were HTs, though I remember folloiwng
him aroudn while he sprayed them with a brass sprayer; and my parents
never dreamed of growing anything so high-maintenance.

Then (because I like the Bloomsberries) someone gave me a collection of
Vita Sackville West's garden writings, illustrated, and I thought 'what
are these amazing flowers that look like something in a Dutch still
life?'' For a while I just looked at other people's at Hidcote and
Sissinghurst and the like, but eventually I bought my first one -
'Roseraie de L'Hay', and to my amazement, it didn't die (though in fact
I didn't water it enough, didn't mulch it, and never fed it, so it's odd
that it didn't.)

From then I was hooked, and now I have sixty-five roses, nearly all pre
1945, though like you I've lately accepted the odd modern rose - of good
family, of course! - into my paradise. I still like HTs only in very
formal gardens, though, and mine is all cottagey-mixed.

--
Jane Lumley