Old 21-09-2008, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Post IKE - most all is well in our garden

Gail -

Glad to hear from you. We have friends there and up I35 from you.

When we were in floods in El Paso - 4' deep in the front yard - high desert!
We sandbagged and kept it out of the house.

The streets were silt but waterlogged and was like pudding.

But in that state, it is easily pushed out of a house (neighbors)
and out of a yard. In those days - early and mid 50's chain gangs from the
local federal prison were brought out to clean the streets.

I'd want to go back and see if anything exists. Some precious stuff might
be another's trash and never seen again. It might be across the street
or in the street itself.

Think of what is left in your house under the same condition. We, my beloved
and I, were in that condition many times in the forest fires in the western
states. What to take and oh my gosh I left that....

Governments can be so ignorant and uncaring in the 'act of caring' so it seems.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Gail Futoran wrote:
"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
news
Glad to hear you are safe, I've been wondering how the Texas
contingency was fairing. Sorry to hear you've lost some trees. If
you haven't already, you may want to put a bit of white glue on the
end of wound on Peace to seal it.

Gail, how about you?

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Well we lost 4 trees - one in the front yard and 3 large and tall
ones in
the back wood lot.

Our roses are in bloom with the reds taking the lead. Only one
yellow is
coming into bloom and the Peace almost lost it all. A large branch
sheared
the plant to the lower main stalk just above the graft bud.

Some damage to the house, but many in town had very large (and old)
trees
across their homes.

Hope all is going well with all of us in the group. Many along the
coast
are still not home if one exists.

Martin

I'm glad to hear Martin did ok, although losing trees is not fun. I'm
far enough north that we didn't even get rain; we got a bit of wind
and a lot of refugees (into San Antonio - just west of me). The
devastation around Galveston is incredible and someone (the Mayor,
maybe?) described it as a third world country. Why anyone would want
to go back until there's at least power and safe water, I don't know,
but I've never been in that situation.

Gail
near (east of) San Antonio TX, Zone 8