Old 25-09-2008, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zoot Zoot is offline

Default Hot pepper/burning mouth question

I see where some have recommended milk to calm the burning...around
these parts it is common knowledge that tomatoes work the best to cool a
burning mouth or lips after a particularly hot pepper. Not saying that the
milk won't work mind you...just most folks around here all say that the
tomatoes work quicker. Perhaps that is why you didn't notice the heat from
the other peppers the salsas? Personally, I've not tried the milk after a
severely hot pepper, so I can't say from experience with that, but I have
used the tomatoes/ketchup, etc after a hot pepper. Works for me anyway, so
I figured I'd pass the info on...

~Rae

Huh - I did not know that. I have about 100 tomatoes in bowls on my kitchen
floor...tomatoes everywhere. I don't think I'll experiment with this
particular pepper anymore as the results were rather painful . But I might
play with my jalapenos as they are not quite as deadly.