Old 02-10-2008, 07:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
a425couple a425couple is offline

Default Question, gunk/muck as compost?

I have a question that I'd like information and
opinions on (better yet!! like I'm sure I'll get here,
very informed, or at a minimum, semi-informed!!)

I removed a lot of the old gunk or muck from the
bottom of my ponds (this time with the wet/dry vac.,
boy, does not take long to suck 16 gallons!)

It is quite dark brown, fine silty stuff.
Can it go directly onto the ready to mine compost,
or best in the bins to age for a year?

And, while I'm at it, a related question.
In the silt / gunk/muck, I've found little
white things/'bugs'. Ohh about 1/16" long,
thicker than a hair, some seem to wiggle,
maybe some crawl, when I poured a bit onto the
top of a 'to be aged' compost bin.
Any good guesses on what they are?

Water temp. now about 54 degrees.