Old 03-10-2008, 03:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
ReelMcKoi ReelMcKoi is offline

Default Question, gunk/muck as compost?

"a425couple" wrote in message
. ..
I have a question that I'd like information and opinions on (better yet!

!
like I'm sure I'll get here, very informed, or at a minimum,
semi-informed!!)

I removed a lot of the old gunk or muck from the bottom of my ponds (th

is
time with the wet/dry vac., boy, does not take long to suck 16 gallons!

)

It is quite dark brown, fine silty stuff.
Can it go directly onto the ready to mine compost, or best in the bins

age for a year?

And, while I'm at it, a related question.
In the silt / gunk/muck, I've found little white things/'bugs'. Ohh ab

out
1/16" long, thicker than a hair, some seem to wiggle, maybe some crawl,

when I poured a bit onto the top of a 'to be aged' compost bin.
Any good guesses on what they are?

Water temp. now about 54 degrees.

============================I dump it right in the gardens, wiggly white things and all. :-)
--