Old 03-10-2008, 02:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
a425couple a425couple is offline

Default Question, gunk/muck as compost?

wrote in ...
"a425couple" wrote:
I removed a lot of the old gunk or muck from the
bottom of my ponds --
Can it go directly onto the ready to mine compost,
or best in the bins to age for a year?

good to go the minute you pull it out. just spread it around.

Thank you Pete, Ingrid, Phylls & Jim, and ReelMcKoi.

And, while I'm at it, a related question.
In the silt / gunk/muck, I've found little
white things/'bugs'. Ohh about 1/16" long,
thicker than a hair,

wigglers are larvae of midges, etc. Ingrid

Interesting.
So, you figure their life cycle takes them from
the bottom muck, up through the water to
the surface, then they sprout wings and fly?

(I'd of wrongly guessed they stayed as some
sort of 'muck worms'.)

Even more evidence those fish were not doing their job!

"Less being hand fed Koi food for you!
Plow that silt, eat them wigglers!
Back to basics of a natural diet,
work hard and live longer - less heart disease!
Less obesity and diabeties."