Old 21-10-2008, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Scarifier vs Verticutter vs Dethatcher

Lawn Guy said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Since I bag my grass when I cut it, I don't have a need to
de-thatch.

Do you even understand what thatch is?

Some say it's the remnants of cut grass and other organic debris.

Others say it's the stems and the crowns of dead grass just above the
soil.

Thatch is a layer of undecomposed or partially decomposed grass roots,
stems, crowns, runners and lower shoots that build up between the soil
surface and actively growing green turf. Grass clippings contain 80 to 85
percent water and decompose more quickly than other grass plant parts.

Research at MU and other universities indicates that grass clippings do not
contribute to thatch. However, it is important to understand that if a
thatch layer greater than 1/2 inch is already present, clippings can
further speed its formation.

Source: extension.missouri.edu

Regardless of what thatch is, if any of it is NOT rooted in the ground
then by bagging your grass every time you mow you are defacto reducing
the tendency for thatch buildup.

Wrong. You're only reducing one (very small) /potential/ contributor to
thatch buildup. Saying that because you bag, you don't need to de-thatch is
untrue.

I never bag, and my thatch layer is far less than 1/2". By not bagging, I
also don't remove nutrients vital to a lawn's health. I use far less
chemicals and fertilizers to replace what I would, in essense, be throwing
away.
--
Eggs

-Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist
change places.