Old 31-10-2008, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tenman tenman is offline

Default Temporary Solution

Follow this:
Toolsaccount settingsadd new accountnewsgroup accountfill in the
blanks and enter 121.208.41.84 for the server name. That should do it.

Steve

Steve-

Thanks for your instructions. I ended up with exactly the same result as
in Sea Monkey. Nothing. However, this morning, upon reflection, it
seemed the icon in the file column to the left of my message window
looked more like a folder than a newsgroup name. So as it was displaying
the plain 'Newsgroups' page in said message window, I read through the
lines there though I have seen but not used them before. One was a
'manage newsgroup subscriptions' setting which I then used - it opened a
box where I found - lo and behold - a heading for'orchids' which, when
opened, gave me the option of subscribing.

You're not a cook, are you, Steve? I'm trying to be positive here, but
since that's not my normal nature it comes out sounding sour like me.
But you WERE helpful. But to someone like me who is terribly precise in
such things, the left out last three steps, if in a recipe, would have
changed a souffle to a hockey puck or a lovely sauce to a lumpy, broken
mess.

Just joking here, Steve!

Though I am long experienced with computers and the internet, it's
sometimes surprising to be reminded just how much I DON'T know. I've
always used the file heading at the top of my screen for controlling my
programs and hadn't really noticed there was a 'page' for it.

Moral of story: just like a good cook who inadvertently leaves out a
step or two which are so intuitive to them, we all often do this in
areas with which we are intimately familiar and in attempting to avoid
that are often brought to a new understanding of our own knowledge and
the processes involved by a careful, minute examination and re-enactment
of the actions involved.

Can you tell I just got up??