Old 02-11-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default Garlic/onion frost damage

On Nov 2, 10:12*am, Sheldon wrote:
Ed wrote:
With the recent heavy snow and ice we have had this past week, a goodly
number of my autumn planted garlics and onions have had their tops bent
over.

Will they recover or will I need to replant again?

Ed
(Herts, UK)

Garlic and onion sets shouldn't sprout until early spring... (same as
other allium), you obviously planted way too early... if anything the
early cold/snow may be a gift.

BALONEY, you get growth until the ground is frozen hard, how many
garlic crops have you brought to market?
The original poster should have no problems but should monitor his
crop a bit earlier than normal harvest by using a few plants so he can
time everything before the cloves open.
If you have extra stock go ahead and plant right up until the ground
is hard.