Old 10-11-2008, 01:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pat Brennan[_3_] Pat Brennan[_3_] is offline

Default cattleya leaf tip necrosis

"Ray B" wrote in message

. . . In reality, it is the measure of the amount of acid it takes to
lower the pH a certain amount - a measure of the acid-buffering capacity -
and it is not a specific ion, but is made up of carbonate and bicarbonates
of a variety of cations, usually calcium, magnesium and sodium.

Best not use words I do not know, so I am staying away from cations. But I
think potassium could also be added to the list. Potassium bicarbonate is
commonly added to water to add alkalinity. J. R. Peters used to sell
straight potassium bicarbonate for use with their R.O. fertilizer
formulation. It has been replaced with a mix of calcium, magnesium, and
potassium bicarbonates.

Pat