Old 14-11-2008, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge Rusty_Hinge is offline

Default composting potato peelings

The message
from "cineman" contains these words:

I seem to recall being informed that farmers use a herbicide on the tops of
potato's to stop any further top growth, and leave tubers in ground for
storage.

No. I don't know what they do now, but they used to use sulphuric acid
before (not before time!) it was banned. I have an idea they scorch the
tops, BICBW.

The idea is to leave the tubers in the ground so the skins will harden.

Is this still the practice?
Otherwise I cannot see any reason why peelings should not be composted.

There's no reason why peelings shouldn't be composted. They're quite
edible, you know. Indeed, if ever I peel potatoes I add the peelings to
my vegetable stockpot.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig