Old 14-11-2008, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Dendrochilum

bobc wrote:
Hello the Group!
Great to see ya's. I'm not sure if I spelled the genus correctly. I
have a D. magnum that just doesn't thrive here. I've had it for
years. It's in bark at the moment. I'm gonna switch it to sphagnum.
I can't seem to figure this plant out! Am I keeping it too wet? Too
dry? Too dim? Too bright? Wrong tag? lol.
I switched a Lockhartia and a Maxillaria to osmunda fiber, and that
was the ticket for them. I can't find osmunda any more. The stores I
got it at before no longer carry it. Is tree fern fiber a similar
product? Just curious, they didn't have that either.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa

Hi Bob.
I can't be specific about Dendrochilum culture because I haven't figured
mine out either. Both of my species have bloomed but they don't really
seem happy.
I've had quite a few plants over the years suddenly do much better in
Osmunda. Some plants certainly didn't like it but if a plant isn't doing
well in bark or CHC that's what I try.
Tree fern fiber is kind of similar to Osmunda but plants don't grow the
same in them. Tree fern, for use in pots, is a bunch of very stiff,
loose fibers. I never had anything thrive in tree fern fiber. I think
the big difference is that Osmunda holds some moisture and tree fern
drains and dries quickly. Perhaps a person living in the humid south
would have better luck with tree fern and find Osmunda to stay too wet?

Steve
PS My supply of Osmunda is a huge 6 cubic foot box I ordered from
Tropical Plant Products certainly over 10 years ago. I'm going to miss
it when I have used it all up. I rarely use it in a big pot. Trying to
not use it up too fast.