Old 17-11-2008, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Uncle_vito Uncle_vito is offline

Default Issues with Phals

Thanks for your input, Diana.

Vito

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
Honestly, it sounds like your plant is doing pretty well.

It's normal for a Phal to lose older leaves. Nothing to worry about there,
as long as new ones are coming, which they are.

The aerial roots shrivelled up because they didn't get enough water.
Remember, they are not in the medium, so can't take up moisture between
waterings. When you water, pay special attention to those roots and be
sure to saturate them. That said, if the roots in the pot are as good as
you say, again, you needn't worry. There is no correlation between the
lost leaves and the lost roots. The roots support the entire plant.

You mentioned that you grow them in moss. If the plant has not been
repotted for a year or more, it's probably time. Keep a sharp eye on the
moss. It breaks down, and if it deteriorates too much it will cause the
good roots to rot.

As for humidity and temperature, you might want to set the plant on some
pebbles with water underneath (don't put the bottom of the plant in the
water). That can add a little humidity. Also, Phals in general need a
temperature drop in order to coax new spikes. So, see if you can find a
way to give the plant(s) some cooler air at night, moving it (them) back
to their normal grow area in the morning. Ten to fifteen degrees is
enough.

HTH
Diana

"Uncle_vito" wrote in message

I have a phal that I have owned almost 1 year. I bought it in flower and
anticipate that it is getting ready to flower again.

Here is the issue:

Over the last year, it grew 3 new leaves, much larger than the original
leaves on the plant. Three original leaves turned yellow and fell off.
(I
have only 1 original leaf left) There were some surface roots that dried
up
and died. I am using a clear plastic pot and can see good roots down
inside. Media is moss which I try not to get too dried out, but water
only
when it appears to need it (once a week). Phal grows in the house in
about
80 degree weather. Humidity is like around 30%.

Is this "normal" for roots exposed to air to die yet roots in the media
do fine. Are leaves associated with unique roots? Could you say that
the
new leaves were due to the good deep roots and the dead leaves due to the
dead surface roots? I know I have the plant growing in a warmer and
drier
environment than where it was purchased. I bought it at Normans
(orchids.com) and when I took a trip to his nursery yesterday, the
environment was cool (70 and humid 45%). I am not going to try and
duplicate that environment in my house, but my Phal seems to be doing OK
even with the roots and leaves as I describe.

Comments?

Thanks

Vito