Old 23-11-2008, 03:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Estate planning for goldfish???

"Joan" wrote in message
Hello. I am writing to ask you if you have any thoughts about how
provide for pond goldfish after the owner's death.
I'm in the process of writing an animal trust, and I'm trying to
come
up with a plan for my goldfish after I am gone. Not that I am
planning on dying any time soon...but you just never know what's in
store for you, and I'd hate to think of my goldies being neglected
or
cared for improperly or, (God forbid) used as "feeders".
Unfortunately, I don't know anybody in my area who is into ponding,
although I am trying to network with some of the koi clubs in the
Portland area.

Anybody out there live anywhere near western Oregon who would be
willing to be goldfish "godparents"?

Thanks.
Joan, on the central Oregon coast
)

I've given fish that got too big for my tanks to a local fish store
that was willing to take them. Unless you can find a fellow ponder,
perhaps the best idea is find someone who sells goldfish (not as
feeders, but as pond fish) and see if they'd be willing to take them
in case your goldfish outsurvive you.

You might also talk to an estate lawyer. Whoever will be in charge
of your estate could perhaps be charged to maintain your goldfish (in
place, as it were) until suitable homes were found.

Gail
near San Antonio TX