Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Blue Sarcochilus

"Andrew" wrote in message
On Dec 8, 11:46 am, "K Barrett" wrote:
Any Australians still here? Anyone seen any blue sarcochiluses? I read an
article in Orchids Australia (from 4/2001) by W D Morris saying that Banks
and Woolf tried making blues.. He postulated a method for doing so.

So my question is, has anyone actually made one? Ever see any?

We here in the States don't see the range of Australian orchids you make.
For example we rarely see red fitzgeraldiis. So I wondered if this ever
really happened.

K Barrett

I've only seen photo's but a few Sarco. Susan flowered blue (more of a
pale blue/purple rather than a true blue). The colour doesn't seem to
be passed on to Susan's hybrids though. Yellow seems to be the new
flavour of the month in Sarc breeding.

----------

There was an article in Orchid Australia saying the blue color came from two
chemicals (a flavoniod and another one) and they had to both be present in
the parental stock in order to pass the blue trait on. And not all parents
had both even though they came from the same cross. I admit I don't really
understand the article so I may be misstating it.

Anyhow, interesting that yellow is the flavor of the month. Looking at
Woolf's page he also has greens & oranges. Yellow is by far the more
intense coloration. Looks like Woolf et al have been working on creating
these lines since the mid 90s. Now there's a guy who can stay focused on a
task, *G*

K Barrett