Old 14-12-2008, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default cockroaches

In Florida (where Elinor is), we have a grasshopper called the lubber. It is
quite large and partial to Dendrobiums, though it will eat other orchids as
well. I've heard people say that the best way to get rid of them is with a 2
x 4.

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/orn/lubber.htm

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
wrote in message
On Dec 12, 11:56 pm, "andrew" wrote:
does any one now if cockroaches will eat orchid flowers

I am very excited to hear that the little fellas really DO eat our
treasured plants and flowers! I have been fretting for over a year-
as to WHO could be doing all the chomping...with very little
productive advice. I have seen them near the pots- and now the
disappearances (of large buds, and newly opened flowers) have slowed
down considerably.
Has anyone else seen "scraping" on the foliage- which would hint at
slugs. I have been unable to verify their presence- only the effect.
My Bug Person (and I) will conquer!
Elinor

Don't forget grasshopper will do that too. We have these small grey
bronze colored ones that'll scrape a leaf down to nothing. Tom Bell has a
mystery pest that eats the leaf's body leaving the veins in a lovely lace
like patterns.

K Barrett