Old 15-12-2008, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default Blue Sarcochilus

On Dec 15, 3:45*am, "K Barrett" wrote:

I'm just amazed that we don't see more of these in America. *I wonder if
that's becasue they are cool or coolish growers and - face it - much of the
US market is biased towards Florida, Texas, California, & Hawaii and what
grows there.

No doubt it's the same reason why you don't get many other Australian
orchids over there. While there are quite a lot of Sarc breeders in
Australia, most of the really interesting breeding is coming from the
smaller vendors who generally find it's not commercially viable to
export. Where it is financially viable to for them to export, the
minimum orders are cost prohibitive for most people with a budding
interest in Sarc's. Without the nationalistic foundation that has
driven Sarc breeding in Australia, US nurseries probably don't see
importing stock as worth the effort for what is probably a very small
market. Unfortunately, the vendors that are large enough to regularly
attend shows in the US often do not have the most innovative breeding
in their catalogues compared to smaller breeder/vendors.