Old 16-12-2008, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pat Brennan[_3_] Pat Brennan[_3_] is offline

Default aos membership redux

Hi Tenman,

I do between 35 and 40 events a year and have been doing shows for almost 20
years now. I do both judged and token ribbon/unjudged shows, of those
judged some are judged by AOS judges and some are not. My comments were not
as theoretically based as you might think. In addition, I have more of a
dog in this fight than you might realize. In the last 18 months I have lost
my two biggest shows; one to financial problems and the other as best as I
can figure because no society member came forward and made the show happen.
As a vendor I do not really care about the format, my measure of success is
what's in the pouch at the end of the show. But what plants I do bring for
show is greatly influenced by the format.

As you said, times are hard and belts tighten. I just sent a table fee
check for an up coming show. To help recover from last years losses, this
show has increased table fees, increased show admission and added an
additional vendor. I trust that with the hits the vendors are taking some
of the perks have been removed from the judging budget. I expect I will see
a vendor revolt if not. I do a small gated show. A few years back the
society decided that to continue attracting good vendors they had to drop
their commission from 20% to 15%. (As a gated show they knew everyone's
take.) As you might guess all budgets got slashed, they even collect
unneeded ribbons at the end of the show for next year use. Judges perks at
this show are coffee and donuts in the morning and cold cuts and a can of
Coke at lunch. Everyone tries to bring really nice plants and getting the
judges to come has never been a problem. Most judges truly enjoy judging
plants and it is a fun show.

I could go on and on but why. Try the format and see if you guys can make
it work. If it has too many problems, meet with the local judging center to
see if there is not some sort of middle ground. Maybe you could do AOS
plant judging at some point during the show with just a small judging team.
Good luck with it and put your best people on advertising

Pat