Old 28-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Hcaterpillar Hcaterpillar is offline
Registered User

Location: Highlands of Scotland
Smile

1. Don't let your compost pile become acidic, this will discourage the red worms (tiger worms). The perfect solution for this is to add crushed eggshells to the compost pile. The calcium in the eggshell neutralizes any acid, thus encourageing your compost worms.
2. The red worms will tend to live near the top of the pile.
3. Keep your compost pile to none cooked veg (for kitchen waste). Cooked foods and meat encourage rats and all sort of diseases.
Happy composting, and chicken keeping!
Quote:
I am hoping for any and all advice, in regards to what I am doing
here, particularly with the worm-compost pile.
• Any specific do’s or don’t’s?
• How long should the worms take to fill up the pile?
• Certain foods that are particularly good or bad for the Chickens?
• Certain foods that are particularly good or bad for the Worms?
Like I mentioned before, I want the Chooks to have the best diet
possible to give the Eggs the best flavour.