Old 04-01-2009, 01:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Chris Savas Chris Savas is offline

Default Cymbidium intruder - Cym. invader (Small).JPG [01/01]

"tbell" wrote in message
.com...
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:44:08 -0800, Chris Savas wrote
(in article om):

Hi, all,

I have had this Cym. ensifolium for years. It has been divided and
shared
many times. Never a problem.

This year, I don't know what I have trying to muscle in. About 30 years
ago,

we had this house built. The lawn was of Argentine Bahia grass. It
wasn't
long before I noticed some very small white flowers in the lawn as I was
mowing it.

The flowers has the distinct characteristic shape of orchids. The bloom
spike

was only about three inches tall, and the flowers were about the size of
grain of rice. I looked for and ID and found that it could have been of
the

spiranthes. I even dug a few clumps along with the dirt and put them in
pots.
They all failed while in pots, but the ones still out in the lawn did
just
fine.... mowing them was no problem.

Through the years, the Argentine Bahia was taken over by the grass on the
lawns on either side (neighbor's lawns). I no longer have the original
grass,
and no tiny white flowers.

So, if this little 'invader' is of the spiranthes, where did it come
from?
How do I transplant it successfully?

The plant in the picture stands only about 1 1/4 inches tall. I put a
dime
in the picture to give you an idea of true size.

Comments, anyone?

You got me very curious, Chris, but for some reason, my newsreader cannot
open the files you attach in this manner.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Hi, Tom,

I don't know why you cannot open the photo. I got a response from Paul
Mitchell who identified the intruder as Zeuxine strateumatica (Soldier's
Orchid). It came if from China along with centipede grass (seed).

Here are a couple of links (that he supplied) with info (Links 1&2) and
pictures (Link #2):

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ZEST
http://www.killerplants.com/plant-of...k/20030310.asp

Chris in Central Florida