Old 06-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Hcaterpillar Hcaterpillar is offline
Registered User

Location: Highlands of Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMC View Post
"Hcaterpillar" wrote in message

Has anyone tried growing Rosa rugosa for the large edible rosehips?
http://www.edible-plants.com

I grow the Harlequin rose - and it has a profusion of rose hips. I cut them
when they turn red - cut out the seeds - and eat them raw.

Unfortunately, the rose has been infested with thrips - and I've sprayed
Rogor on it. I guess I would have to wait a month or so before I can harvest
the hips.
Sounds interesting.. probably does you a lot of good aswell, (high in vitamins and good for the old joints!) I'm looking for more comparisons of different rosehips for a site I've put together. Can you describe the taste, how thick is the skin, is the flesh soft. Do you have the latin name of your rose aswell?
Sorry for the interogation....