Old 11-04-2003, 02:44 PM
geoff

Default Asparagus cropping

Group,

This year I should be able to cut the first crop of asparagus from a raised
bed I planted in 2000 - some of the spears are now three or four inches tall

However, I'm not sure of the best time/way to cut the spears: viz. How tall
should they be? How deep below the surface should the cut be made? Is it
best to leave the first spear/spears to grow on and cut later ones? How
many spears might be taken from each plant? When should cropping cease?

The answers to these questions and any other tips you can give will be
greatly appreciated.

Regards

Geoff on the Isle of Wight