Old 07-02-2009, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Noddy[_2_] Noddy[_2_] is offline

Default Best Mulch for roses?

Does the horse manure smell (even when aged), as I would want to put it
around the outside of my deck, which is surrounded by rose-bushes? I
wouldn't want eau de horse instead of eau de rose g How about cow or sheep
manure, which I can buy rather than shovel? And would such compost encourage
small animal activity there?
Many thanks for the replies....Noddy.

"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
I've read, and personally think, organic compost is best. It has the best
insulating effect, highest water retaining capacity (I water about 33%

less
now) and provides slow release nitrogen and other valuable sub-straights.
I use a combination of well aged horse manure mixed with leaves, grass,

and
other good stuff, mixed with a bit of 19-19-19 to off-set the higher

carbon
content due to wood chips in the horse manure as well as the leaves. I

mix
it together in the fall and by the time the ground in the back it dried

out
enough the take the tractor back there, you've have some really nice

stuff.
A 2 to 4 inch application, topped off with a anti-emergent, and you're
dancing. What few weeds that do show-up are easily removed.

I have a horse farm down the road, but I know a lot of municipalities have
compost piles as well. It might be worth calling around. The only down
side I can see is you have to reapply ever so often. Perhaps once a year
for the first few years, then less often as the lay builds. But really,
isn't that part of the fun of growing roses?

Regards

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
I'd steer away from wood-chips - they rob Nitrogen. Which might not be
all that bad if you use that in the lawn.

I'd use lawn cloth. The black mesh to keep weeds down in gardens.
Over it you could put something to hold it down and decorate.

Rocks might be to hard on the roots...

Others ?

Noddy wrote:
What would be the best mulch to keep down weeds/grass around rose

bushes,
i.e. wood-chips, pebbles, etc.
without any detriment to the rose bushes.