Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
YMC YMC is offline

Default Best Mulch for roses?

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
I'd steer away from wood-chips - they rob Nitrogen. Which might not be
all that bad if you use that in the lawn.

I have to resort to wood chips because that's the only affordable mulch I
can afford here in Melbourne Australia. It gets very hot here in Summer - as
you may be aware from the news reports. We are also under water restrictions
thanks to the Govt here not deciding to build extra water dams and the
terrible drought.

I place a layer of old newspaper under the mulch and they all keep the
moisture inside.

But to ameliorate the effects of the nitorogen robbing wood chips - can I
put extra blood and bone to counter the effect??