Old 19-02-2009, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PB PB is offline

Default Vinegar weedkiller?

In article ,
says...

I don't know how vinegar works as a weedkiller. Sorry. However, I'm almost
sure that 'non brewed condiment' isn't, strictly speaking, vinegar. My
understanding is that it is used in place of vinegar to prevent people
drinking vinegar, which *is* brewed and has some kind of kick (?alcoholic or
otherwise?) which lead to its being used as an abused substance. Hence the
'non-brewed' tag.

Pretty doubtful. Depending on how it is made, real vinegar might contain
some alcohol, but normally an insignificant amount. It's certainly not
enough to get anyone excited. It's also readily available.

I think that you will find that the real reason is that the EU (more
power to it) has required the people who sell coloured and flavoured
synthetic acetic acid to say so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Non brewed condiment was around when I was a lad, long before the EU was
even thought of, mostly in the fish and chip shops. Presumably because
it was cheap.