Old 23-02-2009, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
gar_newbie gar_newbie is offline

Default Bare root strawberries (shelf life, indoor life - to survive in thefrost, ready to plant outside)?

Hi,

Yesterday, I bought a bag of “bare root strawberries” from my local
Lowes. It contains 10 bare-root plants.

I am trying to find out what is the option for me;

Option 1: (a) Keep in shelf indoor for x days. then(b) Plant in a pot
indoor & keep for y days. then(c) Transplant to outside bed by last
frost date minus z days.
Option 2: (a) Today, plant in a pot indoor. then(b) Transplant to
outside bed by last frost date minus z days.
Option 3: (a) Today, keep in a shelf indoor. then(b) Transplant to
outside bed by last frost date minus z days.
Option 4: (a) Today directly plant outside bed.
Option 5: /OR/ any other better way to handle this

Here, I do not know what could be the x, y, z days as well. So, if
you can provide me that detail too it would be great.

I just don’t want to kill this plant. Please help me.

Thanks
Ganesh

Date: Feb 23, 2009 Weather: Low: 15 F, High: 31 F
March begins with the average of Low: 25 F, High: 50 F

Zip: 45040, Ohio
USDA Plant Hardiness Zone: 6
Expected Last Frost date (frost free date) is Apr 15 to May 15