Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Waiting for warmer weather

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 22:50:09 GMT, "Glenn"
wrote:

"The Cook" wrote in message
.. .
Today I started 160 tomato seeds. I have them inside to germinate
since I don't feel like keeping the heat high enough in the greenhouse
for germination. Right now I have over 400 seedlings in the
greenhouse waiting for slightly warmer weather. I have onions,
cabbage, broccoli, broccoli rabe, beets, chard and rhubarb. There are
also a few lettuce seedlings. I have had very poor germination with
lettuce except for my red romaine.

My next project is to plan the garden layout. And then do a second
till to try to get the soil usable for beets. Then I will plant some
peas and lentils.

Anyone else have anything going on now?

--
Susan N.

Started a few dozen brassicas (and inadvertantly started eggplants) back on
Jan 16. The Brocc. Cabb. and Bussel Spts will be going into the ground
around St. Pats day under a polytunnel if need be, the frame work is up
already.
Here in zone 7 (if last year was any indication) i wont be putting the more
delicate tomatoes eggplants etc.out until the end of May beginning of June
even though the last frost date is Apr. 14 its just to cold at night to risk
losing these.
Seems like I've got to slow them down by keeping them in a cooler area or I
will have to repot these in March.
Susan you didnt mention what area u are in, it could help the newbies like
me gauge when to plant.

Glenn in NY

I am in the Piedmont (foothills of the Blue ridge mountains) area of
North Carolina. It is also zone 7. You must live near the coast.

I am going to put out the cold weather plants as soon as I can work
the soil. It has rained or snowed for the past 3 days so it may take
a while for the ground to dry enough so that I don't sink up to my
ankles. I usually set out tomatoes after April 15. Eggplant and
peppers go out a couple of weeks later.

--
Susan N.