Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1[_3_] SG1[_3_] is offline

Default Tomatoes

"0tterbot" wrote in message
What's happening with tomatoes around the country?

We've had limited numbers of decent ones ripening and tis seems to be
common according to what others I've spoken to locally have said.

i'd agree with that, & my tomatoes are shite too! even the ever-reliable
cherry varieties just aren't ripening (we've had a grand total of SEVEN
cherry toms & that is all). the romas this year are just a dud - i've
stopped watering them & lost all hope for them this year. tomatoes give me
the shits anyway, i don't know why i bother.

my cucurbits have been truly awful (& have friends saying the same about
that as well). we finally have a few cucumbers happening at long last, but
NO pumpkin, potimarron, spaghetti squash etc AT ALL, and, (wait for it!)
only two zucchini so far!!!!!!!!! this is unheard of!!!!!!!! i haven't
seen much bee activity for quite a while & i wonder what is going on
there. we've had bees out the wazoo all year round since we came, but not
lately.

at my house, it's just been an awful season - too cool to start with, then
an unbelievable heatwave, now it's been too cool again & at no stage has
there been enough rain. hopeless. my basil this year has been all right
though for the first time ever (probably because i stopped trying to
companion plant with tomatoes). then again, the carrots have been very
good as well - i seem to have conquered my carrot problems!
kylie

I have a late planted Qld blue in the front (flower) garden where the
jalapenos & Cayennes are doing great. So far the only fruit is 1 metre off
the ground where the plant got airborne over the resident native tree
(mental blank as to what it is). The capsicums in the back yard are being
prolific, and the now dead cucumbers went beserk with fruit.