Old 05-03-2009, 02:28 PM posted to aus.gardens
Tom N Tom N is offline

Default Tomatoes

0tterbot wrote:

i haven't seen much bee activity for quite a while & i
wonder what is going on there. we've had bees out the wazoo all year
round since we came, but not lately.

I haven't been seeing many bees lately either (Melbourne). Half of those I
see are blue-banded bees (native) rather than introduced bees (which is
what we normally see). Blue-banded bees have been rare in the past. Many
of the introduced bees I see are crawling on the ground like they are
dying.

Our tomatoes have been shite (2 types of cherry and 1 roma). Fungal
problems early on, lots of flowers, not many leaves, hardly any fruit.
Tank water so no problem there.

We had plenty of nectarines so the bees must have been active in spring.