Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
JohnM JohnM is offline

Default Update on cat and dog deterrent.

On Mar 5, 11:49 am, Gopher wrote:
In message
,
John M. writes

The Lentek devices I bought are pretty watertight, and sit out in the
rain and snow without obvious problems. However, in a high wind and
with no fixation, a couple of them fell over and rain water got in.
Seems there are ways water can penetrate them!

The seals are so good they didn't dry quickly, and the damp was
obviously a problem when I tested them later. The "damage" proved to
be temporary when I dried them by blowing a hair dryer through slits
in the "horn" and into the battery chamber, where there is also an
entry to the interior.

Dogs and cats have given up on my garden as a place for R & R by the
way.

Finally got a couple of Lentek cat & dog repellers via E-bay (at c. 1/3
of RRP) and set them up yesterday. One overlooking my asparagus bed
where the local cat population seem driven to empty themselves with
great regularity. Bingo!..... this morning not a sign of a feline
visitor. However I do hope that the 4ins of snow which fell on Dorset
last night cannot be attributed to this new item of electronic wizardry

I fear it may be the snow to blame for such a quick result. I had the
odd visitor for up to two weeks after first setting up.

One thing I do is to keep shifting the position of the repellers, on
the grounds that a fixed post can easily be circumnavigated in my
garden and ten or so bits of gear would be a bit too pricey.

I found some very cheap rechargeable 9V PP3 on eBay. Seem to be OK in
the repellers so far. Cost me just over a couple of quid each with the
shipping from China.