Old 07-03-2009, 01:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Tomatoes

:-)) I went to a 'fibre day' at la weaver's place one road further to the
east from you and the lady there had good toms growing. I hasten to add
that she had rigged up a couple of poly pipe arches with plastic over the
top and had all her veg growing in there, so I noted that just in case we
end up living nearer to where you are. I suspect tha realy reason for the
arch was to keep of the wildlife but ti also worked for evening out the
climate extremes and being on her own, she didn't need a big crop of
anything, just fresh stuff instead of supermarket stuff.

keeping the wildlife out would be a BIG motivator, i suspect! we're in the
process of making tunnel-like covers with shade cloth on top (not sure if
shade cloth is ideal or not, but the first ones are intended for brassicas
to keep out the c.w. butterflies.) other than that we are having/have had
big problems with furry creatures & now the ****ing rabbits are back, and a
new invasion of choughs just today. i could just scream some days, but i'm
learning to take it more philosophically. sort of. it is nice to live
amongst bushland in this area but some days i feel its not worth it!

the romas this year are just a dud - i've
stopped watering them & lost all hope for them this year. tomatoes give
me the shits anyway, i don't know why i bother.

Literally the shits or metaphorically?

:-) i just can't get interested in them. i like eating them, but i'm not a
tomato-growing nut & never will be. anything that has to be staked, propped,
wired, or whatever just drives me crazy. so i haven't staked the cherry toms
because in my experience they simply do not care either way!! (also, eating
tomatoes makes my finger joints hurt - someone told me they cause arthritis
flare-ups & perhaps this is the first sign!!)

in this same way, the very idea of growing fruit trees bores me to sobs. if
they go well on their own, that's great. otherwise, i just don't give a
shit, it's too much trouble. i thought i was interested in fruit like i'm
interested in veg, but apparently i was wrong.

I suspect if we get a rotter of a season for one thing, then we get
compensation for another. A bit like life I guess

this is very true, & one of my sole consolations :-)
kylie (who seems to have included a good deal of swearing in this post!)