Old 09-03-2009, 05:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rasberry Cane Pruning.

In message , mark
writes
I am about to tackle a thicket of autumn fruiting rasberries.
How should they be pruned and when?
I've been told that it might be different to earlier fruiting rasberries.

Thanks

mark

Summer fruiting raspberry canes are "biennial" - they grow one year, and
fruit the next. So in that case you cut out the old canes that have
fruited, leaving the newer canes for next year.

Autumn fruiting raspberry canes are "annual" - they grow and fruit in
one year. So you can cut autumn fruiting raspberries down to the ground
after fruiting. You don't have to be that rigorous - if a cane is
producing side shoots you can cut it back to where the buds are
breaking, and you'll probably get an earlier start to the cropping
season.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0600/cane_bush.asp
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...ng+raspberries
--